In 1918, Walter Merz and Albert Benteli began developing luminescent material and paint for the watch and instruments industry. The two industry pioneers used their extensive chemical knowledge to develop a successful business at their company, merz + benteli ag. Subsequently, Oskar Thüler, son-in-law of Walter Merz, joined the company as a young physicist full of new and innovative ideas on how to produce luminescent paints and self-luminous light sources. A new success story began in 1969 with the formation of merz + benteli nuklear ag, a sister company managed by Oskar Thüler.
The new illumination technology, which worked without batteries or charging through external light sources, was further developed and marketed successfully in the sister Company mb-microtec ag. In terms of luminosity, precise microtechnical mass production and dimensional size of the products, the technology represented the dawn of a new microtechnical era.
The first close industrial collaboration followed shortly after, at the start of the 1980s. The microtechnical and chemical knowledge of merz + benteli ag, renamed mb-microtec ag in 1981, was combined with user knowledge from different industries to create a number of successful products.
microtec now markets three brands (trigalight®, traser® swiss H3 watches and GlencaTec) and has about 100 employees. Reliability, quality, sustainability, flexibility and speed are the company’s top priorities. Each year, mb-microtec produces millions of components that combine chemistry and technology and which inspire the worldwide customer base with their outstanding functionality and appearance.